Tap on the "Get Data" button on the left to access the control panel for NovaSearch.
- First select one quadrant of the central region of the Andromeda galaxy (northwest, northeast, southwest, or southeast).
- Next select a particular year for which observations are available.
- Close the control panel by tapping on the "Get Data" button again.
Your screen will display two images of the selected quadrant.
- The image on the left is a "time-lapse" movie of the observations during the year selected.
- The image on the right is a calibration image showing the brightness of several non-varying stars used to measure the brightness of any novae found in the left image.
The buttons under time-lapse movie allow you to play or stop the movie, and to run the movie forward or backward frame by frame. The date of each observation is shown below the image.
These images are courtesy of Prof. Travis Rector at the University of Alaska Anchorage,
and the images have been made available on the site by IU undergraduate students Jackson Taylor and Jude Gussman.
Great work, guys!
The online Novasearch tool itself has been created by Frank Morris.