Faculty | Liese van Zee
Cornell University, 1996
Department of Astronomy
Swain West 410
727 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-0274
Email: lvanzee [at] indiana.edu
Professor van Zee has been on the IU Astronomy faculty since 2001. She received a B.S. in Astronomy and Chemistry from Haverford College in 1991, an M.S. in Astronomy in 1994, and a Ph.D. in Astronomy in 1996 from Cornell University. She was a Jansky Postdoctoral Fellow at NRAO-Socorro and a Research Associate at the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics. She typically teaches A221-A222 (General Astronomy I-II), A452 (Extragalactic Astrophysics), and A575 (Structure and Evolution of Galaxies).
Professor van Zee is working on several projects related to understanding the links between star formation, elemental enrichment, and gas distribution and kinematics in star forming galaxies. Her work focuses on both the star formation history and evolution of dwarf galaxies (including stellar population models and regulatory mechanisms for star formation) as well as the elemental enrichment of spiral and irregular galaxies.
See the Indiana Extragalactic Research Group Web Page for more details.
- General Astronomy I (A221)
- General Astronomy II (A222)
- Extragalactic Astrophysics (A452)
- Structure and Evolution of Galaxies (A575)
- Handbook of Frequency Allocations and Spectrum Protection for Scientific Uses: Second Edition, 2015, The National Academies Press.
- Radial Star Formation Histories in 15 Nearby Galaxies
Dale, D. A. et al. 2016, AJ, 151, 4.
- The stellar halo and tidal streams of Messier 63
Staudaher, S. M., Dale, D. A., van Zee, L., Barnes, K. L., Cook, D. O. 2015, MNRAS, 454, 3613.
- Baryonic distributions in the dark matter halo of NGC 5005
Richards, E. E. et al. 2015, MNRAS, 449, 3981.
- Spitzer Local Volume Legacy (LVL) SEDs and physical properties
Cook, D. O. et al. 2014, MNRAS, 445, 899
- Empirical ugri-UBVRc transformations for galaxies
Cook, D. O. et al. 2014, MNRAS, 445, 890
- The Spitzer Local Volume Legacy (LVL) global optical photometry
Cook, D. O. et al. 2014, MNRAS, 445, 881
- New Insights on the Formation and Assembly of M83 from Deep Near-infrared Imaging
Barnes, K. L. et al. 2014, ApJ, 789, 126
- The Effects of Episodic Star Formation On the FUV-NUV Colors of Star Forming Regions
in Outer Disks
Barnes, K. L., van Zee, L., & Dowell, J. D. 2013 ApJ, 777, 40.
- Radio Frequencies: Policies and Management
DeBoer, D. R., et al. 2013, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51, 4918.
- Star Formation in the Outer Disk of Spiral Galaxies
Barnes, K. L., van Zee, L., Cote, S., & Schade, D. 2012, ApJ, 757, 64.
- Direct Oxygen Abundances for Low-luminosity LVL Galaxies
Berg, D. A., Skillman, E. D., Marble, A. R., van Zee, L., Engelbracht, C. W., Lee, J. C., Kennicutt, R. C., Calzetti, D., Dale, D. A., & Johnson, B. D. 2012, ApJ, 754, 98.
- Modeling the Effects of Star Formation Histories on Hα and Ultraviolet Fluxes in nearby Dwarf Galaxies
Weisz, D. R. et al. 2012, ApJ, 744, 44.