Faculty | Katherine L. Rhode
Ph.D. Astronomy, Yale University, 2003
Swain West 315
727 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-6925
Fax: (812) 855-8725
Email: krhode [at] indiana.edu
Katherine Rhode joined the IU Astronomy faculty in August 2007. After earning a Bachelor's degree in Physics from Sonoma State University in 1989, she held positions at the Maria Mitchell Observatory, NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center and the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. She earned a Master's degree in Astronomy at Wesleyan University in 1997 and a Ph.D. in Astronomy at Yale University in 2003. From 2003 to 2006, she was an NSF Astronomy & Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellow with a joint appointment at Wesleyan and Yale Universities.
Dr. Rhode's primary research area is the origin and evolution of galaxies and their stellar populations. She has ongoing projects to survey the globular cluster populations of giant spiral, lenticular, and elliptical galaxies with wide-field CCD cameras and to study the kinematics and dynamics of extragalactic globular cluster systems with multi-object spectrographs like WIYN/Hydra, AAT/AAOmega and MMT/Hectospec. Dr. Rhode is also collaborating on a campaign to obtain optical imaging of objects cataloged by the ALFALFA neutral hydrogen survey, and she was involved in the discovery of the nearby galaxy Leo P.
In addition to her research on galaxies, Dr. Rhode has investigated the rotational evolution of young, solar-type stars. She has used WIYN/Hydra to measure the rotational velocities of hundreds of T Tauri stars located in Galactic open clusters like the Orion Nebula Cluster, IC 348, and NGC 2264.
- A105: Stars and Galaxies
- A452: Extragalactic Astrophysics
- A505: Principles and Techniques of Observational Astronomy
- A780: Graduate Seminar on Stellar Populations in Galaxies
- (Almost) Dark HI Sources in the ALFALFA Survey: The Intriguing Case of HI1232+20
Janowiecki, S., Leisman, L., Józsa , G., Salzer, J. J., Haynes, M., Giovanelli, R., et al. (including K. Rhode), ApJ, 2015, 801, 96.
- The Alfalfa “Almost Darks” Campaign: Pilot VLA HI Observations of Five High Mass-To-Light Ratio Systems
Cannon, J., Martinkus, C.,Leisman, L., Haynes, M., Adams, E.A.K., et al. (including K. Rhode), AJ, 2015,149, 72
- AGC198606: A Gas-Bearing Dark Matter Minihalo?
Adams, E.A.K., Faerman, Y., Janesh, W.F., Janowiecki, S., Oosterloo, T.A., et al. (including K. Rhode), A&A, 2015, 573, 3.
- Globular Cluster Systems and their Host Galaxies: Comparison of Spatial Distributions and Colors
Hargis, J.R., & Rhode, K.L. ApJ, 2014, 795, 62.
- ALFALFA Discovery of the Nearby Gas-rich Dwarf Galaxy Leo P. V. Neutral Gas Dynamics and Kinematics
Bernstein-Cooper, E. Z., Cannon, J. M., Elson, E. C., Warren, S. R., Chengular, J., et al. (including K. Rhode), AJ, 2014, 148, 35.
- Beyond the Brim of the Hat: Kinematics of Globular Clusters out to Large Radii in the Sombrero Galaxy
Dowell, J. L., Rhode, K. L., Bridges, T. J., Zepf, S. E., Gebhardt, K., et al. AJ, 2014, 147, 150.
- Composition of an Emission Line System in Black Hole Host Globular cluster RZ2109
Steele, M. M., Zepf, S. E., Maccarone, T. J., Kundu, A., Rhode, K. L., et al. ApJ, 2014, 785, 147.
- ALFALFA Discovery of the Nearby Gas-rich Dwarf Galaxy Leo P. IV. Distance Measurement From LBT Optical Imaging
McQuinn, K.B.W., Skillman, E. D., Berg, D., Cannon, J. M., Salzer, J. J., et al. (including K. Rhode), AJ, 2013, 146, 145.
- ALFALFA Discovery of the Nearby Gas-rich Dwarf Galazy Leo P. I. H I Observations
Giovanelli, R., Haynes, M. P., Adams, E. A.K., Cannon, J. M., Rhode, K.L., et al. AJ, 2013, 146, 15.
- ALFALFA Discovery of the Nearby Gas-rich Dwarf Galaxy Leo P. III. An Extremely Metal Deficient Galaxy
Skillman, E., Salzer, J.J., Berg, D. A., Pogge, R. W., Haurberg, N. C., C et al. (including K. Rhode), 2013, AJ, 2013, 146, 3.
- ALFALFA Discovery of the Nearby Gas-rich Dwarf Galaxy Leo P. II. Optical Imaging Observations
Rhode, K.L., Salzer, J. J., Haurberg, Nathalie C., Van Sistine, Angela, Young, Michael D., et al. 2013, AJ, 145, 149.
- The SLUGGS Survey: kinematics for over 2500 globular clusters in 12 early-type galaxies
Pota, V., Forbes, D. A., Romanowsky, A. J., Brodie, J. P., Spitler, L. R., et al. (including K. Rhode), 2013, MNRAS, 428, 389.
- New M, L, and T Dwarf Companions to Nearby Stars from the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer
Luhman, K. L., Loutrel, N. P., McCurdy, N. S., Mace, G. N., Melso, N. D., et al. (including K. Rhode), 2012, ApJ, 760, 152.
- The Globular Cluster Populations of Giant Galaxies: Mosaic Imaging of Five Moderate-luminosity Early-type Galaxies
Hargis, J. R., & Rhode, K. L. 2012, AJ, 144, 164.
- Spatially Resolved Spectroscopy of the Globular Cluster RZ 2109 and the Nature of its Black Hole
Peacock, M. B., Zepf, S. E., Kundu, A., Maccarone, T. J., Rhode, K. L., et al. (including K. Rhode), 2012, ApJ, 759, 126.
- Exploring the Correlations between Globular Cluster Populations and Supermassive Black Holes in Giant Galaxies
Rhode, K. L. 2012, AJ, 144, 154.
- Globular Cluster Systems of Spiral and S0 Galaxies: Results from WIYN Imaging of NGC 1023, NGC 1055, NGC 7332, and NGC 7339
Young, M. D., Dowell, J. L., & Rhode, K. L. 2012, AJ, 144, 103.
- The Infrared Light Curve of SN 2011fe in M101 and the Distance to M101
Matheson, T. et al. 2012, ApJ, 754, 19.
- Rotational Velocities and Radii of Pre-Main-Sequence Stars in the Orion Nebula Cluster
Rhode, K.L., Herbst, W., & Mathieu, R.D. 2001, AJ, 122, 3258