Faculty | Stuart L. Mufson
Ph.D. Astronomy and Astrophysics,
University of Chicago, 1973
Department of Astronomy
Swain West 322
727 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-6917
Email: mufson [at] astro.indiana.edu
Professor Mufson has been on the IU Astronomy faculty since 1977. He received a Ph.D from University of Chicago in 1973. He was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory and the Marshall Space Flight Center. He typically teaches A100 (The Solar System), A115 (Birth and Death of the Universe), A221 (General Astronomy I), and A580 (Physical and Observational Cosmology).
- Neutrino Physics with the MINOS experiment at Fermilab
- Responsible for production and delivery of the active detector medium (liquid scintillator) to northern Minnesota and the design/construction of the thermally controlled heat sinks for NOvA
- Manager for the development of the photon detection system for LBNE
- First Measurement of Electron Neutrino Appearance in NOvA
Adamson, P., Ader, C., Andrews, M., Anfimov, N., Anghel, I., Arms, K. et al. (including S. Mufson), 2016, PhysRevL, 116, id.151806.
- First measurement of muon-neutrino disappearance in NOvA
Adamson, P., Ader, C., Andrews, M., Anfimov, N., Anghel, I., Arms, K. et al. (including S. Mufson), 2016, PhysRevD, 93, id.051104.
- Radiation Hardness Studies of InGaAs and Si Photodiodes at 30, 52, & 98 MeV and Fluences to 5 × 1011 PROTONS/CM2
Baptista, B.J., Mufson, S. 2013, JAI, 2, 250008.
- The Search for Neutrino-Antineutrino Mixing Resulting From Lorentz Invariance Violation using Neutrino Interatcions in MINOS
Rebel, B., Mufson, S. 2013, AStro.Part.Phys, 48, 78.