Faculty | Phyllis M. Lugger
Ph.D. Astronomy, Harvard University, 1982.
Department of Astronomy
Swain West 412
727 E. Third St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
voice: 812-855-6929, 6912, 6911
email: lugger [at] astro.indiana.edu
Professor Lugger has been on the IU Astronomy faculty since 1984. She received an A. B. in Astronomy in 1976, an A. M. in Astronomy in 1981, and a Ph.D. in Astronomy in 1982 from Harvard University. She was a postdoctoral fellow at Northwestern University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and an Assistant Professor at the University of Missouri, Columbia before coming to IU. Professor Lugger typically teaches A105 (Stars and Galaxies) and A102 (Gravity, the Great Attractor: the Evolution of Planets, Stars, and Galaxies).
Professor Lugger studies the dynamics of stellar systems (globular star clusters, interacting binary stars, galactic nuclei and clusters of galaxies). Professors Phyllis Lugger and Haldan Cohn lead a research program in this area which includes both observational and theoretical investigations. Their research uses the WIYN telescope, the Hubble Space Telescope the Chandra X-ray Observatory and a high performance GRAPE-6 N-body supercomputer at IU. Current studies include:
- ChaMPlane survey: WIYN Hydra spectroscopy of galactic plane x-ray sources
- Globular Clusters: WIYN and HST studies of cluster structure and dynamics, HST and Chandra studies of binary x-ray sources in clusters
- GRAPE-6 N-body supercomputer simulations of the dynamical evolution of globular star clusters
- Astronomy 105: Stars and Galaxies
- Astronomy 102: Gravity, the Great Attractor: the Evolution of Planets, Stars and Galaxies
Former Ph.D. students:
Steve Cederbloom (Mount Union College), Robert Grabhorn , Paul Bode (Princeton University), Jim Dull (Albertson College of Idaho), Bob Berrington (University of Wyoming), Shawn Slavin (Purdue-Calmet), and Allen Rogel (Bowling Green State).
Current Ph.D. students:
- Improved Mass and Radius Constraints for Quiescent Neutron Stars in ω Cen and NGC 6397
Heinke, C.O., Cohn, H.N., Lugger, P.M. Webb, N.A., Ho, W.C.G., et al. 2014, MNRAS, 444, 443.
- A Chandra Look at the X-ray Faint Millisecond Pulsars in the Globular Cluster NGC 6752
Forestell, L.M., Heinke, C.O., Cohn, H.N., Lugger, P.M. Sivakoff, G.R., et al. 2014, MNRAS, 441, 757
- A Deep Chandra X-Ray Limit on the Putative IMBH in Omega Centauri
Haggard, D., Cool, A. M., Heinke, C. O., van der Marel, R., Cohn, H. N., Lugger, P., & Anderson, J. 2013, ApJ, 773, 31.
- X-Ray Binaries in the Ultrahigh Encounter Rate Globular Cluster NGC 6388
Maxwell, J. E., Lugger, P. M., Cohn, H. N., Heinke, C. O., Grindlay, J. E., Budac, S. A., Drukier, G. A., & Bailyn, C. D. 2012, ApJ, 756, 147.
- An Examination of the X-Ray Sources in the Globular Cluster NGC 6652
Stacey, W. S., Heinke, C. O., Cohn, H. N., Lugger, P. M., & Bahramian, A. 2012, ApJ, 751, 62.