Faculty | Eileen D. Friel
Ph.D. Astronomy & Astrophysics,
University of California, Santa Cruz, 1986
Swain West 321
727 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 856-3931
Fax: (812) 855-8725
Email: efriel [at] indiana.edu
Professor Friel has been on the IU Astronomy faculty since 2011. She previously served as Director of Lowell Observatory, and was for many years the Executive Officer (Deputy Director) for the Division of Astronomical Sciences at the National Science Foundation. Prior to joining NSF, she was Director of the Maria Mitchell Observatory for 5 years and directed Research Experience for Undergraduate programs there and at CTIO in Chile. She was a NATO/NSF Postdoctoral fellow at the Observatoire de Paris, a Plaskett Fellow at the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics in Canada, and the Beatrice Watson Parrent Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Hawaii.
She received her B.S. in Physics at the College of William and Mary, completed the Part III Maths Tripos at Cambridge University, and received her Ph.D. in Astronomy and Astrophysics from the University of California at Santa Cruz.
Professor Friel has broad research interests in stellar and galactic astronomy. Much of her recent research has involved using star clusters as chemical and dynamical probes of the Galactic disk and halo to address questions of the formation and evolution of the Milky Way galaxy and its stellar populations. She is a collaborator in the Gaia-ESO Survey, a public spectroscopic survey being carried out on the ESO VLT, and regularly uses the WIYN telescope for observational studies.
- A450: Galactic Astrophysics
- A530: Galactic Astronomy
- A540: Stellar Atmospheres
- A780: Graduate Seminar on Astronomy with Archival Data Sets (Fall 2011)
- A780: Professional Development in Astronomy (Fall 2013)
- The Gaia-ESO Survey: Stellar Content and Elemental Abundances in the Massive Cluster NGC 6705
Cantat Gaudin, T., Vallenari, A., Zaggia, , P., Pancino, E., Bragaglia, A.,Friel, E., et al. 2014, A&A, 569, 17.
- Radial Velocities of Three Poorly Studied Clusters and the Kinematics of Open Clusters
Hayes, C. R., Friel, E. D. 2014, AJ, 147, 69.
- Gaia-ESO Survey: Properties of the Intermediate Age Open Cluster NGC 4815
Friel, E., Donati, P., Bragaglia, A., Jacobson, H.R., Magrini, L., eta al. 2014 A&A, 563, 117.
- The Gaia-ESO Survey: Abundance Ratios in the Inner-Disk Open Clusters Trumpler 20, NGC 4815, NGC 6705
Magrini, L., Randich, D., Friel, E., Bragaglia, A., Smiljanic, R., et al. 2014, A&A, 563, 44.
- DOOp, an Automated Wrapper for DAOSPEC
Cantat Gaudin, T., Donati, P., Pancino, E., Bragaglia, A., Vallenari, A., Friel, E., et al. 2014, A&A, 562, 10.
- The Gaia-ESO Survey: Reevaluation of the Parameters of the Open Cluster Trumpler 20 Using Photometry and Spectroscopy
Donati, P., Cantat Gaudin, T., Bragaglia, A., Friel, E., Magrini, L., et al. 2014, A&A, 561, 94.
- FAMA: An Automatic Code For Stellar Parameter and Abundance Determination
Magrini, L., Randich, S., Friel, E., Spina, L., Jacobson, H., et al. 2013, A&A, 558, 38.
- Zirconium, Barium, Lanthanum, and Europium Abundances in Open Clusters
Jacobson, H. & Friel, E. D. 2013, AJ, 145, 107.
- Elemental Abundance Ratios in Stars of the Outer Galactic Disk. IV. A New Sample of Open Clusters
Yong, D., Carney, B. W., & Friel, E. D. 2012, AJ, 144, 95.
- Metallicities of Old Open Clusters
Friel, E.D., Janes, K. A., Tavarez, M., Scott, J., Katsanis, R., Lotz, J., Hong, L., & Miller, N. 2002, AJ, 124, 2693.
- Deep CCD Photometry of Old Open Clusters
Kassis, M., Janes, K. A., Friel, E. D., & Phelps, R. L. 1997, AJ, 113, 1723.
- Old Open Clusters of the Milky Way
Friel, E. D. 1995, Ann. Rev. Astron. Astrophys., 33, 381.